LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS
Do you use LPG in your business?
If so it is vital you read this important safety information from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
When liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is stored and used in installations compliant with relevant health and safety legislation and industry codes of practice, it is a safe fuel. However, when it is not the results can be catastrophic. In May 2004 a gas leak from a corroded buried pipe led to an accumulation of gas in the basement of a Glasgow plastics factory. This resulted in an explosion which caused the building to collapse - nine people were killed and 33 were injured, some critically.
To reduce the risk of another incident the UK LPG industry and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) consider that underground metallic pipework should be replaced with pipework made from materials such as polyethylene (plastic) which won’t corrode.
Replacing buried metallic pipework/fittings at commercial and industrial premises throughout the UK will be a major undertaking and therefore needs to be prioritised based on the risk of pipeline failure and gas entering a nearby building.
The HSE Also States
The responsibility for ensuring the safety and maintenance and replacement in industrial LPG pipework will normally rest with site operators including landlords, site owners or business directors - although it can also fall to gas suppliers if they own the pipe.
Site operators are legally responsible for complying with safety regulations.
Gas & Utility Technology Ltd have the necessary skills and qualifications to carry out the pipe replacement as required by the HSE in this notice.
LPG Design & Construction Services
- Gas mains infrastructure, services and pressure regulating/metering equipment for domestic, industrial and commercial developments.
- Gas services and pressure regulating/metering equipment for individual industrial/commercial consumers.
- Pressure testing and commissioning of all installed pipework and associated pressure regulating/metering equipment.
- Alteration and extension of existing gas outlet pipe systems.
- Testing and commissioning of outlet pipe systems and associated equipment.
- Maintenance of outlet pipe systems.
- Soundness testing and purging.
- Site surveys/trouble shooting.
- Decommissioning of gas outlet pipe systems.
- Installation and commissioning of automatic isolation valves.
- Maintenance of pressure regulating/metering equipment.
For more information call us on 01592 774 756 or use our Contact Form